Lawrence OP has posted some fantastic pictures of A W N Pugin’s masterpiece, the Roman Catholic church of St Giles, Cheadle in Staffordshire. The church was built between 1841 and 1846 for Pugin’s principal patron the sixteenth Earl of Shrewsbury. Built in the ‘middle pointed’ style the church is a wonderful romantic medievalist vision, a dark mysterious interior with soaring pillars covered in rich polychromy and a profusion of detail in metalwork and encaustic tiles. The church was also intended to express Pugin’s liturgical ideal that the newly emancipated Catholic church would adopt the English medieval use of Sarum. So he incorporates objects such as an Easter Sepulchre (see below) that had fallen out of use in continental Roman Catholicism. Anyway Lawrence’s photos speak for themselves and as always he includes an excellent commentary on each photo.