It wasn’t just the chancel at St Helen’s Brant Broughton that received the Bodley and Garner treatment, the late medieval nave was also restored. The roofs of the nave and aisles were lavishly recoloured. Bodley based the colouring of the nave roof on fragments of the original polychromy. The nave is lit by a series of gilded wrought iron candelabra, designed by Canon F H Sutton and made by Thomas Coldron the local blacksmith.
In 1889 the fairly ordinary fifteenth century font, was given a towering cover designed by Thomas Garner. The cover is of plain oak on the outside, but opening the doors, you are met with a wonderful surprise, a glorious polychromed interior. The base of the paint work is the standard Bodley and Garner muted greens and reds, set off with stencilled and gilded devices and blackletter texts.
At the back of the cover are three figures. The child martyr St Agnes, St Michael the Archangel and St Nicholas of Myra. The blue highlights on these figures and the pink tone of the lining of St Michael’s robe provide a visual relief from the sea of green and red that surrounds them.